“... an enormous, magnificent building ...”

Archivio di Stato, corso Cairoli n. 6 - Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali

14-22 April 2012 - Exhibition

Locandina maestoso fabbricato

This year, the 14th “Settimana della Cultura” (Culture Week), which is promoted every spring by the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, will be launched in Reggio by a joint initiative between the State Records Office and the Italian Historic Houses Association - Reggio Emilia Delegation.

On Saturday 14 April 2012, from 4 pm to 7.30 pm visitors will be able to take guided tours inside the building located at 6 Corso Cairoli which has been home to the State Records Office since 1969.

This large building, Palazzo Carmi, stands where the Santo Spirito convent used to be, and part of it contains the Carabinieri barracks. It is very near to the old Jewish ghetto and it owes its construction and name to two Jewish brothers from Reggio, Giuseppe and Bonaiuto Carmi. Prospero Fantuzzi wrote this about it in his 1857 Guide to Reggio: “This building was built in 1849… no expense was spared, a considerable amount of money was devoted to its construction and it was endowed with finery, containing various houses…”. The construction work was assigned to the engineer Luigi Croppi and the architectural design to Pietro Marchelli.
The result was “...an enormous, magnificent building...” (L. MANZOTTI, Reggio di Lombardia, re-printed in 1851), the size of which was a sign in itself of the family’s wealth and affluence. The building’s tempera paintings, which were designed to decorate the main floor meeting rooms, also highlight the family’s prestige.

On Saturday 14 April, the public will thus have the opportunity to visit this residence, which was of great importance in nineteenth-century Reggio. In particular, they will be able to visit the parts of the house that are not normally open to the public, as they are reserved for State Records Office use. The guided tour will provide an expert insight, as it will be led by the architect Fabio Cocconcelli, who has studied the Palazzo Carmi in depth.
This will continue throughout the week with you being able to visit the building at your own lei-sure from Monday to Friday 9.30 am - 12.30 pm.

On Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 April visitors will have the opportunity to see another rarity: count Alfonso Tacoli’s painting which depicts the palace and gardens in Rivalta, a small version of Versailles commissioned by Charlotte and Francesco d’Este, the Duke and Duchess of Modena and Reggio. The painting, which was completed in 1751 and was recently restored, is considered to be the most faithful portrayal of the whole site, the ruins of which are all that remain today.
Then, in collaboration with UdP Progetti Speciali (Reggio Emilia Special Projects Scheme) and the Southern District of Reggio, guided tours will take place on Saturday from 4 pm to 6 pm and on Sunday from 10 am to 12 pm. Visitors must book to take part in the tours.


 As part of Culture Week, visitors will be able to attend screenings of the video Archivi e territorio (‘Archives and the Local Area’) upon request.

LOGOXIVSett_A

 

as-re@beniculturali.it

www.archiviodistatoreggioemilia.beniculturali.it

Documents to download

Back to Top ↑